You can have your whole garden in one large container if you so choose. You will have to decide what plants go in what container given their sun/part sun/shade/part shade preference.
Put all full sun plants in one container. Put part sun in another container. And so on.
Annual Flowers That Do Well in Direct Sun
- HELLEBORES – early bloomers; partial shade
- FERNS – try a Japanese painted fern, maidenhair or deer fern
- BEGONIAS – try ‘Bonfire’, Rex or tuberous begonias
- HOSTAS – try a minature variety such as ‘Tiny Mice’
- JAPANESE MAPLES – a single specimen makes a strong statement
- BAMBOO – Phyllostachys nigra offers structure and height
Check out more on shade gardens here.
Vegetable Garden Guide
Thrillers, Fillers & Spillers
When you’re putting various plants into a container, you might follow the Thriller, Filler & Spiller concept below…
And if you want a water garden, you can have that on the patio as well. There is the galvanized container water garden. And others are listed below.
The information for these are in the resource section at the bottom.
1 & 2. Source