Yesterday is not a day I’d want to repeat. I did the countertops myself because the refrigerator is coming next Thursday and the countertops needed to “cure” for seven days. My daughter was too busy to help.
First, neither the paint (GianiGranite) or the epoxy had any scent at all. If it did I couldn’t smell it. So no worries for Charlie.
The lower kitchen cabinets were completely covered with plastic and taped underneath the edge of the counters.
I painted on Thursday. Two coats were called for. But there were little hairline cracks in the paint all around the sink edge once it dried. Still there. Might have to stay there.
GianiGranite has a help number you can call and I sent them photos of the cracks. They got together with their team and discussed what it could be. Leftover caulk? Nope, don’t think so.
My daughter came by on her way to work and looked it over and said to just put the epoxy over it. We’ll try to fix it later. Maybe we can and maybe we can’t.
GianiGranite finally got back to me. They said to sand it down and rework it first. Too late. I’d already applied the epoxy.
I put Charlie and Ivy in the bedroom while I did some of the painting Thursday. Charlie scratched on the door furiously because he hates to not be able to see me. Ivy howled like someone was beating her with a stick.
I had on gloves, but I still got epoxy everywhere. The floor, the light switches. I’m sure I’ll find more spots of it but I’m not going to worry about it. Well, I’m trying not to anyway.
Anyway, you’re supposed to mix two cans together for the epoxy. One can of the activator with the other can of resin. You stir it together for an exact amount of time. I think it was three minutes and fifteen seconds.
Then you pour out the mixture and smooth it out with the roller and paint brush. They said to take tweezers to fix the air bubbles, etc. Except I couldn’t get them out. Or the little black hairs that were either from my sweater or Ivy’s fur.
I was wearing my painting clothes but the shirt was short sleeved so I had on my only button up sweater. Of course after all was said and done, everything I was wearing went in the trash. Even my socks.
It took quite awhile to get the epoxy off my hands and arms. I was wearing gloves, but when I took them off the epoxy still got on them. I ended up pouring a whole bottle of cider vinegar on my arms and using lots of soap and water to remove it.
If my daughter can figure out a way to fix the imperfections, fine. If not, I guess I’ll do what I always do in these situations. Arrange things where the imperfections are not noticeable.
You are supposed to remove the painters tape from around the edges within 1-2 hours. Except the epoxy was so slick I couldn’t remove it all. Then there was the corner where the countertop meets that I couldn’t reach.
I got up on the step stool and with one hand tried to hold my clothes close to my body while reaching out to the very farthest corner with the other hand. I had gloves on and the epoxy was so slick I just couldn’t pull the tape off.
I got up this morning and removed the rest of the tape. I was afraid I was going to be stuck with about six inches of green Frog tape, but I managed to get it out. Of course it caused some marks in the epoxy. Ah well, more imperfections.
Also I had taped the refrigerator cord over the counter. Sometime last night the cord fell on the counter. It left an indention and a little brown tint from the cord.
Like I said, if my daughter can figure out how to fix the mess ups, great. If she can’t I can live with it.
Today the epoxy feels dry, but you’re supposed to leave it as is for at least 48 hours. I’m leaving it longer than that because mine took so long to set. I’m probably not going to put anything on it or use the sink till the end of next week. Better safe than sorry.
I’m washing the dishes in a galvanized tub in my bathtub.
Now it looks as smooth as a pond covered with ice. Just don’t look too closely!
It is ultra shiny and just what I wanted, excluding the little black bits of my sweater and/or Ivy fur.
But once the refrigerator gets here and the peel and stick subway tile is up for the backsplash, barring any disasters the kitchen should then be finished.
Today I’m resting.