Laura, who blogs at Simple & Serene Living, moved to Atlanta to be close to her daughters and grandchildren.
She was on a waiting list to get into her senior apartment and when her name came up, she was overjoyed.
Laura doesn’t have a place to garden, so her house plants are precious to her. She always manages to find a spot in her small apartment for another one.
Her galley style kitchen has just about enough space for one person to cook or prepare food.
Laura sells vintage items. She’s always on the hunt and this means regularly going to thrift shops and occasionally auctions.
She says she loves the “thrill of the hunt.”
Laura likes simple small space living. And most of all she loves being closer to her daughters and three grandchildren.
1. How long have you lived in your small space home?
I have lived in this small space for nine months, but I previously lived in another small apartment for three years.
2. Did you actively seek small space living and why? Price? Downsizing?
I moved into a small space because I needed to find somewhere I could afford. I did downsize, but love this space.
3. Which room has proven to be most problematic for you?
The dining area is probably the most problematic for me. I can have two people over to eat, but no more than that.
4. Do you have a pantry and/or linen closet?
I have a front walk in closet that I use for a pantry and storage. I don’t have a linen closet.
5. Where do you store small appliances and things like ironing boards, etc?
I store appliances in my front closet. I have a table top ironing board which folds up and I store it between the refrigerator and the wall.
6. Where do you store seasonal/holiday decor?
My Christmas tree is under my bed in a storage container. The rest of my Christmas decor is divided between a chest in my living room and a Rubbermaid bin on top of my bedroom closet.
7. What do you like best about living in a small space?
I love my apartment. I love that it is very cozy, fairly easy to clean, and that I live in a security building.
8. What do you find most challenging about living in a small home?
My kitchen is small and usually fine for the amount of cooking I do, but when I bake or fix a dish for a family meal, there is not enough counter space.
9. What projects are you wanting to start but haven’t tackled yet?
I’ve thought about painting a chest of drawers that I have, but I haven’t figured out the space to do it in.
10. What made you fall in love with this house?
I love the coziness of my apartment.
If you’d like to check out Laura’s vintage shop, here is the link.