Today I’m going to assemble one gifted to me from Gardener’s Supply Company. All opinions are of course my own.
If you wish to get your own, here’s where you can find this terrarium.
1. First you add charcoal. Charcoal provides filtration and purifies the water in your terrarium.
2. They say their secret recipe is to use orchid mix. So add half the orchid mix and save the other half for another step in this process. The orchid mix provides optimal drainage and aeration.
3. Add the terrarium soil. This soil is formulated to supply a nutrient-rich base for your plants.
4. Prepare and add the moss.
First submerge the moss in water and drain slightly. Don’t ring it out. The moss will hold the plants in place.
5. Next spread gravel in your terrarium.
6. Add stones. These are medium-sized rocks. Place on top of the gravel.
7. Now it’s time to add the plants. Make a slit in the moss with your fingers and place your plants in the moss.
The base of your plants should line up with the top of the moss.
8. Add remaining half of orchid mix. Sprinkle the mix around your plants and avoid the rocks.
9. Now it’s time for water. As you can see I’ve brought my terrarium indoors now. I took a water bottle and sprayed water down the sides of the glass to clean any dirt off the terrarium.
The water retained in the moss is all your terrarium needs to sustain its ecosystem. Do not over water.
10. Close the lid and you’re done!
Keep your terrarium in a well-lit area. Your terrarium functions as its own ecosystem, and will sustain itself as long as you keep the lid on.
If the terrarium is fogging up once a day, that’s a good sign. You don’t need to open it. The ecosystem is telling you that it doesn’t need additional air.
If your terrarium is not fogging up, add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water, being very careful not to over water, and close back up with the lid.
If you have continual fogging, leave the lid off for a day or two.
Mushrooms are a sign of a healthy terrarium.
If mold starts to develop, sprinkle cinnamon on the moldy area, avoiding plant leaves.
Now sit back and enjoy your terrarium.
I really like this one because it came with absolutely everything I needed.