This coffee table project was one of those DIY nightmares that you kind of wish you’d just passed right on. Or not seen in the first place. But finally it’s finished.

Here it was at the beginning. Doesn’t look like a nightmare, does it. 

Well looks are deceiving…

Once I started to sand it, pieces started falling off. Three layers worth. 

It’s obviously been in a flood and had water damage. But I wasn’t stopping now.

I worked with a putty knife and hammer for two straight days. 

I borrowed a sander from Charlie next door. But it didn’t make a dent. I ended up buying an orbit sander. Which helped once most of the layers were finally off.

It was going to be manual labor, like it or not.

Here I’ve worked my way (almost) down to the third layer. First there was paint, then a veneer. And maybe your would call this the second veneer. 

If I never hear the word veneer the rest of my life, I will be happy.

Here we are at the adding putty to the gouges and holes stage. I used an entire tube of wood putty, and was squeezing with all my might to get more out of it by the end.

Here, though it’s kind of blurred out, is where I saw a lot of water damage. Every inch of this underside had splits in the layer of wood. The only way to salvage it was to patch it as best I could.

And without further ado, here is the finished product. 

I was lucky enough to find knobs half-price at Hobby Lobby. But I ran into some trouble finding ones with screws thick enough. So my selection was limited.

Oh, but that was not the end of my troubles. 

I thought I was at the finish line when I was putting the drawers, complete with knobs, in. But I was wrong.

When I went to slide the right drawer in, it would not go in all the way. Then I had a heck of a time getting it back out, which damaged it a bit further.

Thus commenced another hour of hammering and trying to get the pieces to fit together tight enough to slide in. Phew! Then another little chunk fell off and I just gave up and painted over it. 

This color looks turquoise, but it is not at all. It’s just this light. The color is Behr Marquee Empire Blue.

This is the true color.

So the coffee table project beast didn’t best me after all. But it sure did come close!

There will be no Tweak It this week due to the fall blog tour I’m hosting Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. It will begin tomorrow morning. 

Similar Posts

45 Comments

  1. Impressive amount of work. Well done! We've heard about all of the prep details ( very valuable information) but nothing about the Behr paint which sponsored the project. We know you are honest with a capital H. Many of us do not have your skills with paint and would like to know what works.

    1. Thanks, Brenda. I want to paint my front door. I just finished painting a very small back entryway white and the white I chose went on clumpy and looks pink! I'll be waiting for your review.

  2. Congratulations on a job well done. I hope you will look at your new coffee table and think to yourself, "I fought the table and I won" ! Now, rest if you must…………..you didn't give up.
    The knobs look like you picked them from your garden. Very pretty. From your paint swatch it looks like it is kind of a Williamsburg blue. Nice !
    Waiting to see what your next project will be. 🙂
    Charlotte

  3. Brenda, that turned out absolutely gorgeous and I hope you feel it was worth your efforts. I know it was a royal pain, but it is a truly beautiful piece that needed your special touch!

  4. You did a great job and didn't let the table get the best of you. It turned out pretty and the knobs are just right too. They added the finishing touch for you… Can't wait to see how you set it up in your home!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *